Sunday, April 8, 2012

On a mission

I have a lot of works in progress that need to be finished and my goal is to get them finished before the end of April.  (the original plan was to finish them all by the end of March, but that has come and gone)  I have been slowly checking things off of the list, but I figured if I list my to-do list here, maybe I would hold myself a little more accountable and finish things off in a more timely fashion.

I did finish a big project a couple of weeks ago, with a LOT of encouragement of friend.  3 years ago, I started a quilt for my husband, wanting to give it to him for our anniversary, but I think I just bit off more than I could chew and it eventually found it's way into the "it will get finished someday" pile.  Well this year, I was determined to finish for out 10 year anniversary, and I did it!!


It is the Alien Hordes and The Race cars pattern from Carolina Patchworks.  The thing that was so hard about finishing this was all of the pieces.  SO many tiny pieces.  But I am thrilled that I finally finished it and can safely say that I will probably never make it again.  EVER. But the husband absolutely loves it and carries it from room to room with him.


Ok, so that's crossed off of the list.  SO now let's talk about things that need to be finished.  I have a huge completed quilt top that needs to be basted and quilted.  I finished it about a year ago and just haven't finished it because it is huge.  I think it is 109"x109"??  Or somewhere thereabouts.  I think I may just send end up sending out to be quilted.




It is made with some of my favorite fabrics in my favorite combination of colors.  I haven't decided if I am going to add a border to or not.  Since it is so big, I might just call it done.

I also have blocks from 2 previous quilting bees that I was in.

I have finished some more blocks for this and I think I have enough to finally start putting the top together.


And then there is this one


The blocks are all different sizes, so I think that I will have to sash each one individually to make them all the same size and then sash the blocks together to make the top.

I think that is a good start to the list.  I know I have some more stuff that I can add so I will have to do some digging and see what else there is.  But for now, these are the big projects to get finished.

Have a Happy easter!

4 comments:

  1. I wish you were in town to give me some quilting lessons. I love the one you made for the hubby. I had my grandmother make two for my fiance out of old t-shirts and clothes he didn't want to part with and he loves them. He keeps one in his car for those cold mornings when he has to be at work before everyone arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt for your hubby is so cool! I can see why he loves it. I need to make a new one for my hubby, but I'm trying to take care of WIPs first, too. I have a feeling I will not be as successful as you; I'll be lucky to finish just one by the end of April. :) Love all your WIPs, especially the stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That anniversary quilt is spectacular! Congrats!

    And, whoa, those stars are a blast from the past. Took out my blocks from TheBeeThatMustNotBeNamed the other day and immediately felt kinda sad. I met you though. Gotta cling to the positives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited that you finished the quilt for M! It's incredible. And your WIPs are awesome, too. I love the yellow/aqua top. And wow, 109" x 109"?? Dang!

    The bee blocks are a lot of fun. Keep up the dedication, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete